Picture acknowledgement: The Pond
Free Music Now! Vol. 1: Observing the Observatory
Original broadcast: September 23, 2009 (Wed), 2230-0000h (GMT +8)
Presented by Mark Wong
Broadcast "live" from a cluttered bedroom on Balestier Road, Singapore, FMN! is an internet radio programme hosted on unpopular.radio. We pay special focus to music developments in Singapore and Southeast Asia.
"Free music" refers as much to the ideas of information flow and cultural dissemination as it does to musical forms which refuse to be shackled to genre orthodoxy. Inevitably, "Free Music NOW!" becomes clarion call for open ears and unfettered minds.
Vol. 1 features the music of The Observatory, a much lauded band from Singapore which has forged new musical pathways with every one of their releases - not to mention band members' solo works and side projects. Besides showcasing the diverse musical footholds they tread, references will also made to their diverse influences from prog-rock, pastoral folk, electro-acoustic improvisation, experimental electronica and jazz. FMN! pays tribute to a band that has been absolutely instrumental in widening sonic palettes in Singapore.
To tune in "live" to the show, please download any one of the following:
Link 1 | Link 2| Link 3
Then open the listen.pls file in your iTunes, Winamp or VLC media player during the broadcast time.
1. The Observatory – Ephemeron
2. Red House Painters – Grace Cathedral Park
3. Leslie Low – All Things New
4. Vashti Bunyan – Diamond Day
5. The Observatory – Blood Rising
6. Carla Bozulich – Prince of the World
7. Can – Future Days
8. Throb – Paraphunkernalia
9. Tortoise – Ten-day Interval (live)
10. The Observatory – Omicron
11. The Observatory – Deadheat
12. This Heat – Horizontal Hold
13. Shining – In The Kingdom Of Kitsch You Will Be A Monster
14. Burning Witch – Sacred Predictions
15. The Observatory – Decarn
16. The Observatory – The Last Grand Fallible Plan
17. The Observatory – Prodigal Son (live)